Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blog 23: Methods & Beginning of Analysis


Method
I chose to conduct an interview which I transcribed for textual analysis.  I chose this method to get a personal account on the research topic.  For my research, I interviewed S at a Barnes and Noble in Union County, New Jersey.  S is a senior and honor student at Kean University.  She is majoring in English with emphasis in professional writing.  She has never played a musical instrument; however, she did sing in a choir when she was younger.  Nonetheless, her days in choir are very much in her past.  S has been writing since second grade and started writing frequently in her diary at 11.  It wasn’t until college that S started listening to music while writing.  S normally writes with a pad and pencil at her desk while music is playing over her laptop.  The music is not random; hence, she has a playlist dedicated for when she writes.  Her playlist consists of 16 songs, most of them being sung by John Mayer. 
After the interview I transcribed data.  I labeled S’s speech in five distinct ways: 1)CAPITAL LETTERS=stress on words, which is higher in pitch from her normal voice.
2) Italicized Words=fast talk, which is faster in speech than her normal talk. 
3) Underlined Words=low voice tone, which is lower in pitch and smoother than her normal talk.
4) Regular words=normal talk.
5) [laughing]=Indicates that S laughed.
*In some instances during the transcription, I labeled the dialogue with two indicators.
The Presentation and Analysis of the Data
This data will focus on the following: Listening to music while studying and writing; familiar music’s influence on the writing process (i.e. brainstorming, drafting, and/or revision); and how listening to familiar music while writing positively effects a writing environment.
Familiar music is music known and liked by the subject.  It is music that the subject listens to on a regular basis.  This music can be found on the subject’s iPod, MacBook, or any other listening device.  
Unfamiliar music is music unknown by the subject.  It is music that the subject does not listen to.  Unfamiliar music can often be heard in retail stores, coffee shops, or, more specifically, at the Starbucks on the Kean University campus.
Upbeat music is most commonly known as techno/house music. This type of music is often associated with dance clubs. It is known for its fast tempo.  During the analysis S says, “I don’t really like...like loud and like...upbeat when I write, going out that’s a different story.”  When S says this she is referring to club music.
A Writing Environment is a state in which writing occurs.  A positive writing environment fosters creativity and fluency while writing.  A negative writing environment will cause the opposite effect---stifled creativity and fluency while engaged in writing.   
Listening to music while studying and writing: 
College students often listen to music while committing themselves to studious activities (i.e. studying and reading).  Similar to college students, S listens to music while actively engaging in many activities.  In the following excerpt, S will discuss when she listens to music and how music affects her.   
R: The ambient noise and background music is in effect right now.  What other activities do you do while you are listening to music?
S: What do you mean? Like other things?
R: Yeah.  Do you run
S: Work out. In the car. When I’m driving. Uhm...when I’m getting READY.  When I’m in the SHOWER [laughing].
R: Do you have headphones on?
S: No[laughing].
R: Why? Why do you listen to music while you are running or working out?
S: Well, I don’t listen to the same music while I’m working out. BUT when I listen to music when I’m not working out, it just MAKES ME FEEL GOOD [laughing].
R: What about when you’re doing homework? Do you listen to music?
S: YEAH, but I can’t listen to like upbeat music when I’m doing homework. Cuz then I just start like...I can’t concentrate.
R: Yeah, does it help you study better or help you do your homework better?
S: Uhm, I don’t STUDY when, I don’t listen to music when I study. But I listen to music when I like write things or when I’m doing something else.

S listens to music while working-out, driving, getting ready for school, and writing; though, the music S listens to while working-out is different from the music she writes to.  S says, “Well, I don’t listen to the same music while I’m working out. BUT when I listen to music when I’m not working out, it just MAKES ME FEEL GOOD [laughing].”  It is evident in the following quote that S listens to workout-specific music while exercising and other music when she isn’t working-out.  However, S makes a point to emphasis “but” to include music’s influence on her emotions.  In S’s case, the music that she listens to outside from exercising makes her “feel good.”  The fact that S’s voice pitches and speeds up on “MAKES ME FEEL GOOD” confirms a pleasant emotion.  The laughing at the end of S’s indicates comfort.  
Towards the end of this excerpt, S’s language turns negative and serious when she is asked to discuss her music listening habits when she engages in homework and/or studying.  Regarding the completion of homework while listening to music, S says, “YEAH, but I can’t listen to like upbeat music when I’m doing homework. Cuz then I just start like...I can’t concentrate.”  The beginning of this statement (i.e. YEAH, but...) indicates conflict between music and homework.  S then states that she can’t listen to upbeat music while doing homework because it affects her concentration.  S associates upbeat music with dance clubs.  When she is asked about studying to music, she says, “Uhm, I don’t STUDY when, I don’t listen to music when I study. But I listen to music when I like write things or when I’m doing something else.”  S places emphasis on “study” to make a point that she doesn’t listen to music while studying.  Afterwards, S changes the topic from studying to music to listening to music while writing, which implies that S would rather speak about writing and listening to music.  S’s backtracking indicates that she feels differently when studying than from writing.        
This excerpt implies a few things.  First, music has a specific function for each activity.  Second, music can evoke emotions.  Third, music can cause people to associate it with other environments.  Lastly, this excerpt shows that studying and writing are two separate entities that require different habits.  In this instance, studying---which is a combination of reading comprehension, memory, understanding, and in some instances writing---requires the student’s full attention.  On the other hand, writing to music does not seem to hinder this student’s writing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment