Thursday, March 21, 2013

Blog 13: updated draft



  Technology (i.e. computers and tablets) is constantly evolving.  To put this in perspective think about the manual typewriter.  Now think about how word processing evolved from typewriters to computers and, more recently, to tablets.  Every year these electronic devices get better: faster internet access, sharper images, smarter programs. However, these advancements don’t necessarily make using technology easier.  For those tech heads in the world, new technology would take some time getting used to, but it wouldn’t be overwhelming.  Now, imagine someone, an adult per se, who has only used computers for word processing.  How would s/he feel if someone tried to teach them something pertaining to computers, but something totally unfamiliar?  To get a general understanding of the adult learner’s perspective on learning new technology, I will be analyzing Data Set 5: Adult learning and technology.  This Data Set is a transcription between Ch (interviewer) and M (interviewee and student learner).  The first excerpt is about a math program M was exposed to.  The second excerpt is about a computer class M had taken in college.  Before beginning my analysis, I numbered each statement made by Ch and M.  In the first excerpt, I labeled the first statement (i.e. Ch) 1 and the next statement (i.e. M) 2, and so on and so forth, until I reached 27.  I followed the same procedure with excerpt 2, marking it from 1 to 42.  By means of textual analysis, my goal is to analyze M’s language (i.e. length of answers, intensifiers, breaking of chronological or causal progression, and key terms/phrases) in both excerpts to answer the following question: How does an adult learner feel about learning new technology?
Just glancing over the first excerpt, I noticed that M answered using one word (4 out of 14 responses) or short sentences (10 out of 14 responses).  For instance, in the first statement Ch says, “So in 2002, you were word processing, typing papers.  But in that math class you didn’t want to use the math program.”  M responds, “No.”  “No,” like every other one word answer is blunt; hence, one word answers offer no incite on the proposed question.  Using short answers, as opposed to one word, has the same effect.  In this case, M’s short answers are standoffish.  M is reluctant to answer fully because she dislikes the topic of discussion.  
In the first excerpt, M uses de-intensifiers such as “I guess” and “Maybe” in statements 4,6,10, 16, and 18.  These terms make M sound uncertain and helpless.  Take for example the follow-up Q&A from 1 and 2.  After M’s blunt answer on 2, Ch says, “Do you remember why? What were your feelings about [the math program], can you remember that?”  M responds, “I guess thought that I couldn’t do it, I didn’t trust myself, I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid.”  In this response, M questions her own abilities and the computer’s abilities, all the while sounding helpless about using the math program.  
M also breaks up the progression of dialogue in 14.  In 14, M tries to divert Ch’s math program question by saying, “With the computer?”  M is still reticent about answering questions about the math program.  On the other hand, M is glad to open up her comments on computers.
M answers many of Ch’s questions with strong verbs and phrases that connote disapproval and fear for computers and the math program.  From 4, M says, “I didn’t trust...I was afraid.”  From 6, M says, “I guess I didn’t think that I needed to use a computer in that way.”  From 10, M says, “I guess...trusting the computer to, you know, analyze it, the way that I could have done it myself.”  From 12, M says, “represent what I wanted it to represent.”  From 16, M says, “Maybe I didn’t relate the computer to education in the right way, that I didn’t think it was necessary.”  From 18, M says, “I guess I thought I cold go through without-without having to do this.”  From 27, M says, “I was fighting it.”  There appears to be a lot of friction between M learning this new math program and computers.  M doesn’t trust computers or this math program.  M doesn’t think computers are necessary.  M is afraid of computers.  M is fighting against technology.
By glancing over the second excerpt, I noticed that M’s answers are much longer.  Out of 21 responses 8 are 2 lines or more; 10 are 1 line; 3 are 1 word.  Unlike the answers found in the first excerpt, lengthy answers imply that M is comfortable talking about the subject at hand.  For example, after Ch asks M about a computer class in 1, M responds in a dialogue that covers 7 lines.  Nonetheless, M still answers most of the questions in short sentences.   
In excerpt 2, M uses similar intensifiers to those found in the first excerpt; however, they are used less often.  In 10 and 34 M uses “I guess...”  Then in line 22 M uses “maybe.”  And in 40, M uses “I might.”  Again, M sounds uncertain and helpless by using these de-intensifiers. 
Whereas, excerpt one had very little circumlocution because of M’s blunt answers, excerpt two is filled with round about talk from M.  This can be witnessed in 1 and 2; 5 and 6; 14,15, and 16; 26, 27, and 28; and 31, 32.  Take for example 31 and 32.  In 31, Ch says, “Ok, I’m trying to figure...so you had this one class and ah, so then, ah you bought a computer - how did things change when you bought a computer.”  M responds, “I guess then I was little, my kids used it a lot more than I did, and I really didn’t explore at first, and then I became more comfortable with it, little by little, then after I took that computer class, I took an internet course for the first time, I said, well let me try this, now that, I well I had to trying to graduate from Middlesex, to fit my schedule, and then that internet course kind of helped me build my confidence...so I kind of explored a little bit that way.”  Did M become comfortable with using her own computer?  I’m unsure because M barely talks about her own computer and spins the narrative on her children, internet course, and how s/he wanted to graduate from college.  
Similar to the first excerpt, there are many strong verbs and phrases used in the second excerpt.  These verbs and phrase are found in M’s short answers.  Take 15 and 16 for example.  Ch says, “so let’s go back to how you learned word when you learned it by yourself, you had something you needed to do, right?  and then you’d ask someone what to do.  Did you do very much exploring on your own?”  M responds, “No.  No if I had to type, I just went in and I typed I used it like a typewriter.”  M didn’t explore?  M used it like a typewriter?  This is interesting because even after M took a course on computers she’s still reluctant to explore its functions.  Additionally, M’s reference to the computer as a typewriter shows her reliance on simple and older technology.  Following M’s response, in 17, Ch says, “But you didn’t go across the menu at the top and use the hover thing so.”  M says, “No I was afraid to.  I was afraid of breaking the computer.  Or afraid of what would, I never explored, I went on, went to word, opened it up, typed what I had to type, and you know.”  Not only was “afraid” repeated three times in this statement, it was also the same word used in 4 of the first excerpt.  At the end of excerpt two, beginning with 33 and ending with 40, Ch rapidly questions M about her internet course.  In 33, Ch says, “So the internet course helped you learn how to explore?” M responds, “I guess so, how to research on how to use the computer for research.”  Because M’s response contains “I guess,” it doesn’t sound convincing.  Ch follows up by saying, “did it help you with exploring programs.” M responds, “not really programs, no.”  M did not take any knowledge away form her internet course.  In 37, Ch asks, “So how would you learn a program now?” M responds, “Ask somebody.”  Ch then says, “You still wouldn’t go through the menu bar and see what each of the tools did, and you know because yo can hover over it, or you wouldn’t open them up and just play with it.”  M says, “I might, but I would probably ask somebody.” These closing statements by M tell it all.  She is not willing to explore the computer on her own.  The only instance when M is willing to explore her computer is in the company of someone who is computer savvy; however, that’s subject because of the word “probably”.  
What does M’s language in both excerpts say about the adult learner and technology? After analyzing the data in both excerpts, there wasn’t much change in M’s attitude towards technology.  It is evident in both excerpts that M is afraid of computers and reluctant to use programs other than Microsoft Word.  M would much rather prefer using something she is comfortable with, something that M knows like the typewriter.  Even when M is placed in a learning environment, she resists learning the new programs.  Although, there are some points of the second excerpt where M seems like she learned something from her college courses, M completely reneges her statements in the last lines of the excerpt.  As seen in this analysis, adult learners have a difficult time dealing with new technology.  Some are intimidated by the computer and its multiple functions.  Other adult learners fight against technology.   


No comments:

Post a Comment