Saturday, March 16, 2013

Draft


Question:
-How is excerpt 1 different from excerpt 2? Is it different?  How do M’s views on technology differ between excerpt 1 and excerpt 2?  What is the big “C” in this excerpt? What are the difficulties adults experience with learning new technology?  How comfortable is M with technology?
*Data set 5: Adult learner and Technology

Excerpt 1 & Excerpt 2:
-Casual interview between Ch & M
-Ch poses question and M answers
-Ex--> 1. Ch: So in 2002, you were word processing, typing papers.  But in that math class you didn’t want to use that math program
            2. M: No

Excerpt 1: 
*Beginning statement by Ch--> 1. Ch: So in 2002, you were word processing, typing papers.  But in math class you didn’t want to use that math program
-This statement addresses the issue of technology

-Mental Verbs: “I guess”; “I though”
Ex-->
4. M: I guess thought...-->after Ch asked about M’s feelings on the math program
6.M: That I could do it, I guess I didn’t...-->after Ch asks M what s/he didn’t trust about computers
10. M: I guess that...-->M is asked again by Ch about trusting computers
18. M: I guess I thought I...-->after Ch asked M about relation of computer to education
20. M: Yeah, and even though I guess...-->M is responding to Ch’s question about computers being extra.
-Past, Present, or future forms of verbs:
Ex--> 4. M: I guess thought that I could not do it, I didn’t trust myself, I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid.-->M goes from present (i.e. I guess; I didn’t trust) to past (i.e. I was afraid).  Seems like M is pushing himself or herself away from the issue (i.e. computers)
6. M: That I could do it, I guess I didn’t think that I needed to use a computer in that way.--> present verb usage to past-->again, s/he is pushing the issue away
8. M: I was willing to use it to type-->past to present-->s/he is bringing the subject of typing to present day.
18. M: I guess I thought I could go through without--without having to do this-->present to future-->still hesitant about computers
20. M: Yeah, and even though I guess I wasn’t you know comprehending that this was supposed to make life easier, it made it more difficult.-->present to past-->it still seems like s/he is hesitant to use computers
-Transitioning between first person, second person, and third person:
Ex--> 10. M: I guess that putting all of my information in there, and trusting the computer to, you know, analyze it, the way that I could have done it myself-->First person to second-->s/he is  hoping “you” can relate to the issue.
20. M: Yeah, and even though I guess I wasn’t you know comprehending that this was supposed to make my life easier, it made it more difficult.-->same as previous.  s/he is looking for Ch to relate


Intensifiers:
Ex--> 16. M: Maybe I didn’t relate the computer to education in the right way, that I didn’t think it was necessary-->Maybe.  M is questioning computers relation to education



Repetition:
Ex--> 4, 6, 10, 18, 20,: “I guess...”
-The repetition of “I guess...” shows M’s processing of the question.  

*Excerpt 1: M’s responses were concise.  5/14 responses were one word answers.  The rest of the responses were either a sentence or a little more.

Excerpt 2:
-Mental verbs:
Ex--> 6. M: no I’m trying to think...I remember-->Ch asks M his/her feelings on the computer class
10. M: Ahm, I guess-->Ch ask M if he got over the fear of computers
22. M: and I thought...-->
28. M: I think so-->After Ch asks M about getting help for internet issues
32. M: I guess-->After Ch asks M how things changed after M got a computer
34. M: I guess-->After Ch asks M if the internet course help M learn how to explore

-Denotations of time and place:
Ex--> 2. M: part of the class it was you know, twice a week, once we would meet in the classroom, and the other time we would meet in the computer lab, so it was the history of computers, so we learned about the history of computers, and then...-->Seems like M is trying to bring into the light his/her learning experience
22. M: I would type in Notepad, you know, and then...-->seems like he’s unsure
32. M: I guess then I was little...-->not sure where he was going with this

-Transition between first-person, second-person, and third person speakers:
Ex--> 6. M: no, I’m trying to think what else, but they were just projects that we had to turn in.  So ahm, some kids knew how to use the computer but they didn’t know how to use it in the way she wanted it to be used, they would zip by all their work and not do it the correct way, and maybe I was in a better situation, because I knew nothing. about you know, computers, and this was my fear, entering the information and then you press a button, and I remember, you, know, the laughed at me because you would press the button and everything on the screen would disappear and I’d be like “oh what happened” but there was a way to get it back, there was always a way to get it back, so it was a funny experience and it was ah, it was kind of taught me not to be afraid, to you know, to use the computer.-->Switch between I, they and we.  M compares himself to other students in the class.  S/he feels better because of the undo button.
22. M: Ah, well like where us word. I would type in Notepad, you know, and then maybe somebody showed me, or you turn it on, and I thought that was the only program and then somebody, don’t you use word? What do you mean? You know, so , ahm, then I would go into word.-->I to you.  S/he uses “you know” to relate the subject with Ch.
-Intensifiers:
Ex--> 2. M: it was a fun experience because the teacher was very good, very willing to work with use-->Ch asked about the computer class.  M’s answer praises the teacher for creating a fun environment 
22. M: Ah, well like where us word.  I would type in Notepad, you know, and then maybe...-->s/he’s unsure about how he learned to use word.
26. M: ah well and the realization that a computer has really been around for very long time--> “really” accentuates the computers being around for a long time.

-Breaking the chronological or causal progression of event by way of regressions, digressions, leaps in time or silence
Ex--> 2. M: we did (thinking) what’s it? slides?-->s/he is still unsure about technology
6. M: no, I’m trying to think what else, but they were just projects that we had to turn in.  So ahm, some kids...computer-->instead of giving his experience, he pawned it off on his kids.
24. M: probably (but doesn’t sound really convinced)-->
26. M: yeah cause when they, well it talked about, ah fear of computers, ah well and...on the internet, and-->mid-sentence s/he talks about their fear of computer
32. M: i guess then I was little, my kids...way.-->you think M is going to talk about his time spent on the computer, but he switches to his kids. 

-Repetition:
Ex--> 2. M: “We would...”; “We had...”; “We did...”
2, 6, 10, 18, 22. M: “You know”
18. M: No I was afraid to. I was afraid of breaking the computer. Or afraid of what would...you know.-->it’s apparent that he is afraid of computers

*Excerpt 1
Key phrases or terms that stuck out:
4. M: I didn’t trust myself, I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid
8. M: I was willing to use it to type
10. M: the way that I could have done it myself
12. M: represent what I wanted it to represent
16. M: Maybe I didn’t relate the computer to education right way, that I didn’t think it was necessary
18. M: I guess I thought I could go through without-without having to do this
20. M: I guess I wasn’t you know comprehending...it made it more difficult
26. M: I was fighting it

*Excerpt 2:
Key phrases or terms that stuck out:
6. M: there was a way to get it back, there was always a way to get it back-->afraid of losing work
14. M: I didn’t know about the undo button, that’s my favorite button the undo button (laughing)-->scared of losing work on the computer
16. M: No. No if I had to type, I just went in and I typed I used it like a typewriter.               -->reference to typewriters
38. M: Ask somebody-->
42.  M: I would read, yeah.  I would read the help things.-->

38 & 42 instead of experimenting with technology, M would prefer to ask someone or read the help bar.


Introduction:
Technology, particularly laptops and tablets, is constantly evolving.  For instance, last year the iPad mini was the newest gadget on the market; however, come spring time this year, Apple will debut a new iPad mini that will replace its predecessor.  Every year technology gets better: faster internet access, sharper images, smarter programs.  These advancements, however small, entice some people to buy the latest gizmo.  On the other hand, there are some people who prefer not to purchase these gadgets because of fear.  They're scared of technology, scared of change.  With that said, I will be analyzing a conversation between two people.  This discussion involves an interviewer (i.e. Ch) and their interviewee (i.e. M). The topic of the interview concerns M’s experience with technology as an adult learner.  I will analyze M’s responses to answer the following questions: How are M’s views on technology different between excerpt 1 and excerpt 2?  How comfortable is M with technology? Is M comfortable with technology?  By means of textual analysis I hope to address the concerns of adult learners and technology.   

Analysis:
Before analyzing this conversation, I numbered the first excerpt from 1-27.  I began by labeling Ch’s first statement as 1.  Then I marked M with 2.  The numbering stopped at 27 (M’s last statement).  I followed the same procedure with excerpt 2, marking it from 1-42.  Similarly, excerpt 2 begins with Ch and concludes with M.
When analyzing both excerpts I looked at the following four items: repetition; breaking of chronological order; the length of M’s answers; and key phrases/terms.

Excerpt 1:
Repetition.  Throughout this excerpt, M answers with “I guess...” quite frequently.  Perhaps M is reminiscing on his/her experience, but the phrase is used so often that it makes M sound unsure.  For example line 4 states: “I guess thought that I couldn’t do it, I didn’t trust myself, I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid.”  The first statement, “I guess thought that I couldn’t do it” lacks clarity.  When M says, “I didn’t trust myself, I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid” it shows how s/he truly felt about using technology. 
Breaking the chronological or causal progression of event by way of regressions, digressions, leaps in time or silence. In lines 10 and 20, M interrupts his/her statement to say, “you know.” M then continues on with his/her initial statement.  This expletive is used as confirmation.  M wants Ch to agree with his/her statement.  Nonetheless, by M saying “you know” it shows that s/he is uncertain. 
Length of Answers.  M’s answers are concise (4/14 answers were one word.  The rest of the answers were a sentence long).  Even when Ch was trying to pry answers from M, M stayed tightlipped.  For instance, in lines 21 and 22, Ch questions M about a math program M was reluctant to use.  Ch says, “And also, I think I’m hearing, if I’m understanding you right, you felt that learning that program didn’t really have anything to do with what you need to learn for that course.” M responds, “right.”
Key terms/phrases.  Line 4: “I didn’t trust the computer, I was afraid.”  M is scared of computers/technology.  Line 8: “I was willing to use it to type.”  M’s connection to the computer was word processing (i.e. typing papers).  Line 12: “represent what I wanted it to represent.” M wants control over what s/he is doing.  Line 16: “Maybe I didn’t relate the computer to education in the right way, that I didn’t think it was necessary.”  The computer was something extraneous to M’s education.  Line 20: “I guess I wasn’t you know comprehending...it made it more difficult.”  M’s understanding of computers (i.e. the math program) created a divide.  S/he knew how to type on a computer, but when it came to learning a new program M shut down.  Line 26: “I was fighting it”.  M was comfortable with what s/he knew already.  This new program threw a monkey wrench into M’s knowledge about technology.
Excerpt 2:
Repetition.  In line 1, Ch asks M about a computer class s/he had taken earlier.  In M’s response he repeats the following terms: “We would...” “We had...” “We did...” M gives a detailed narrative about his/her experience.  In lines 2, 6, 10, 18, and 22 M uses the expletive “You know.”  Similar to excerpt 1, M is using this phrase to relate with Ch.  In line 17, Ch says, “But you didn’t go across the menu at the top and use the hover thing so.” M responds, “No I was afraid to. I was afraid of breaking the computer. Or afraid of what would, I never explored...”  The repetition of “afraid” stresses M’s feelings about computers and their programs.                                                                     
Breaking the chronological or causal progression of event by way of regressions, digressions, leaps in time or silence.  There are three instances when M changes his narrative.  In line 6, M talks about projects the class had to complete.  Then M tells a story about an experience in class and how s/he realized there was a way to undo errors.  Within lines 23 and 25, Ch asks M the importance of discussing the history of computers in this computer class.  In line 26 M says, “yeah cause when they, well it talked about, ah fear of computers, ah well and the realization that a computer has really been around for a very long time...”  M squeezes in “fear of computers” mid-sentence.  The last instance where M changes the progression of the conversation occurs in line 32.  M is asked how things changed when s/he bought a computer.  M answers by telling Ch about his/her kids using the computer.  After the monkey branch to kids, M then explains his/her experience with another computer class.  
Length of Answers.  When M is asked to describe an experience, s/he goes into much detail.  Despite the ornate answer, M skims the topic question and details something irrelevant.  
Key terms/Phrases.  Line 6: “there was a way to get it back, there was always a way to get it back.”  This seems to be M’s saving grace for technology, the ability to go back.  Line 16: “No. No if I had to type, I just went in and I typed I used it like a typewriter.”  It’s interesting that M would use the computer like a typewriter.  When M was asked about learning a new program s/he responded, “Ask somebody.”  When asked about reading items for help, M said, “I would read, yeah.  I would read the help things.”  Instead of hands-on learning, M would rather ask someone for help or read the help bar.

Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment