Monday, January 28, 2013

Blog 2: Analyze this.

Define analysis.

Analysis is a logical process used to solve a problem.  The first step when analyzing involves a question about a proposed issue.  For example, our class was given a puzzle with the directions to find the missing symbol.  The second step to analysis is gathering information.  With the puzzle in hand, we noted the shapes contained within each box.  We noted the color of the shapes.  We also noted how the shapes were placed in their respected box.  Once we accustomed ourselves to the puzzle's language, we started grouping the shapes.  Then we looked for patterns.  We noticed a few patterns, but there was one pattern in particular that stuck out the most; thus, this idea allowed us to theorize about the missing symbol.  Theorizing about the answer is the third step.  But, how do we know our answer is correct?  We had to test our theory, which is the fourth step to analyzing.  Now that we had an idea of the possible answer, we filled the vacant spot with the proposed shape.  Did it work?  If the symbol didn't match the answer we would have to start the process over.  If we were correct in our assumption, we had to validate the answer by continuing the puzzle beyond what was given.  What would the next line be if the puzzle had the correct symbol?  Did it make sense according to what was given?  Being that our answer was correct, we concluded our analysis with a general theory.

Using analysis in my research.

In my last blog, I talked about finding "the one" on online dating websites.  From Gee's building tasks I could propose a question concerning relationships: Does writing eloquently attract the opposite sex?  I guess that would suffice for my research question.  From there, I could gather information from other closely related studies and/or gather my own.  For example, I could have women read excerpts from a specific romantic novel (The Lucky One, Twilight, Water for Elephants) opposed to literature that's more manly (Women by Charles Bukowski) and see how they react to each.  I could also start two of my own profiles (eloquent vs ineloquent) and see how women react to my pages.  After gathering the information, I could potentially theorize my findings.  Then, I could test my results by creating a profile aimed at what I found from my research.  If all goes well, I will have my general theory about online dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment