Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blog 1: What kind of writing studies research are you interested in working on?

What is writing studies?
     Writing studies involves all types of communication (i.e. written, verbal) and how each communication method impacts the author/speaker and his/her recipient(s).

With that, I came up with a few specific questions that would be interesting to further investigate.
1) What's being lost in translation?  This question pertains to texts and e-mails.  Are we losing valuable communication skills because of easier and faster ways to communicate?
2) How does literature evoke emotion? That's a little vague, huh?  In that case, let me aim it towards social networking sites and cyber bullying.  For example, how is it that someone's post on Facebook could be interpreted as cyber bullying?  Kids these days.  I was always taught that "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me."
3) Are symbols and abbreviated words, which are commonly used in texting, changing the writing norms of today's society? idk :)
4) Okay, this question is a little out there.  Sorry.  Charles Bukowski is my favorite author.  Since I like writing about my weekend escapades around Cranford, I would like to see how communication factors in with the opposite sex, especially during the initial greeting.  How does talking eloquently or casually affect your chances with the opposite sex?
5) Let's throw a curve-ball into the fourth question.  Say you're a Division I football star who dates online because weightlifting and school take up all your time.  Can a relationship be won through written words?  How does writing eloquently versus ineloquently affect your chances of finding "the one."

No comments:

Post a Comment